Friday, February 04, 2005

Wasabi peas and red sofas

Yesterday I actually got to sit in on a casting session for a Super 8 Motels commercial (Super 8 is a client for Watson, where I am an intern). I went with some people from work to a very posh downtown Richmond studio, complete with red sofas, modern art, some of those older people who dress artsy and young, high tech computers and screens, and a fun asian director with long hair. It wasn't a live casting session, we were looking at video tapes that acting agencies had sent in of people reading the script - and they had been looking at tapes all day. When I got there, around 3:30, they were still going strong. If you ever have overly-judgemental urgings I suggest watching casting tapes. You satisfy your craving real quickly. We watched a gazillion tapes and got to laugh at a lot of the people, there were comments such as "whoa . . . ok next, hurry, fastforward," "look at his forehead," "her hair . . . i mean, look at it . . ." A very few head shots were pulled and there was a general be-moaning of the lack of talent (and to that I will attest - from the ones that I got to see, there was definitely a lack of talent).

They had all of these finger foods on the table and one of them were these things called wasabi peas. Incredibly addicting. They are what there name says they are - wasabi, in the form of peas - except hard and a bit salty. But boy, if you eat more than a few at a time you definitely get those sinuses nice and cleared. Whew. But man, I felt so chic and sophisticated for a few hours in my life - eating my uber-posh snack food and watching casting tapes. All I have to say is, I will never want to be on those casting tapes and hear what people say about me because the world is brutal.

Today was crazy. 4 hours of sleep. Psych test. A painfully blatant and discussed early exit from my creative writing class, so that I could get to my job interview on time (with extra time allowed for me in case I got lost). Didn't get lost (oh glorious glorious achievement). Learned that apparantely it is the thing now -a -days in office buildings to keep all of the bathrooms locked. Learned that the job I was interviewing for really wasn't a job that I wanted. Realized that experience in interviewing is good nonetheless. Realized that job hunting sucks and that everyone should come to me. Cursed Beltway/D.C. drivers. Witnessed 20 near accidents and crawled at 10 mph on 95. Cancelled another job interview set up for next week, realizing that it was more of the same type of thing I interviewed for today. Ate a lot of food at dinner (and pumped 4-hours- of- sleep- self with extremely potent caffeinated tea. Went to the student film festival, which was fabulous and hosted by an equally fabulous Jon, one of my dearest friends. Packed. Watched Gilmore Girls.

Tomorrow morning I'm going home because tomorrow night is the Josh Groban concert in Norfolk. Must see my future husband. I have been challenged to obtain a piece of his underwear. More to come on that front. Stay tuned.

P.S. I am allergic to something in my eye makeup and it's making my eyelids swell. Pretty, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my eyelids swell sometimes too, more often when i don't get it all off at night. think it might be that? happens too when i sleep in my contacts, but i know you don't hurt your eyesight like i do. :-)

luvs!
j

Anonymous said...

Kel-

We asians have been eating those peas for some time - before the white man made them 'hip' just thought you should know.