Wednesday, May 24, 2006

the dialogue of bonnie and clyde

I spent last night helping The Cyclist pack for his move this weekend. It was great. My hands were completely black from newsprint by the end of the night and I left crazy messages on the boxes that I personally packed; for example, "Packed by The Hot One (Kelly)" and "Packed by the Smart One (Kelly)." I found those messages extremely amusing, but The Cyclist did this whole grimacing/whining thing (afraid that his new roomie would give him a hard time) which I didn't quite understand. Who wouldn't want boxes with comments about how great I am? I know, I know . . . it's hard to fathom.


But this is not the story that I intended to tell you. I have to share with you the experience of obtaining the newspapers that we used to wrap The Cyclist's stuff:


Now, The Cyclist and I are poor and do not have a subscription to the newspaper. Therefore, we had to take matters into our own hands. The Cyclist's great solution: Go scavenging through recycling bins. I raised my eyebrow at this idea, but went along with the plan.


THE FIRST ATTEMPT:
Location: The recycling dumpster outside The Cyclist's apartment.
The Cyclist climbs into the dumpster.

Me: Um, are you sure that we're allowed to do this?
TC: Yeah, of course.
Me: Huh.
TC: Here, hold these *hands me a stack of newspaper*
Me: Ok.
TC: Gross. Someone's thrown their trash in here as well. They aren't supposed to do that.
Me: These newspapers smell.
TC: Do they really?
Me: *wrinkles nose* Yes.
TC: Hmm, ok, we're going to have to go somewhere else. I don't want the newspaper stinking up my stuff.
Me: *gives him papers back* Um, how are you going to get out of there?
TC: I'll just . . . uh . . . climb up here . . . ack *falls back into dumpster*
Me: *smirks* Looking good. Haha.
TC: Shut up punk. *finally gets out of dumpster*

THE SECOND ATTEMPT
Location: Recycling dumpster outside of a fire station.
The Cyclist climbs into yet another dumpster.

Me: Of ALL the places to go climbing into dumpsters, you pick one outside of a fire station!
TC: So?
Me: There's a fireman standing right there outside of the building. He's going to see us and then we're going to get arrested.
TC: He's just a fireman. He's not a policeman.
Me: But he knows policemen.
TC: What's he going to say, "Sorry son, you're under arrest for taking those old dirty newspapers that nobody wants anymore?"
Me: Yes.
TC: Here, hold these.
Me: I see how it is, give ME all of the incriminating evidence to hold.
TC: That's right. I can see it now, "Um officer, I don't know this crazy woman . . . I uh, dropped my keys in the dumpster and had to go and get them."
Me: Gee. Thanks.
TC: Alright, I think that's enough.
Me: *laden down with newspapers, can't move*

The Cyclist and I head back to the car, putting the newspapers in the trunk.

TC: We're like that famous crime duo . . . even though we took newspapers that we were allowed to take.
Me: You mean, we're like Bonnie and Clyde?
TC: Yeah!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so silly, tell the Cyclist I said hi!

-The Shamana

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...

Seriously, I made the same typo twice in a row. Let's see if I can get it right this time. What my FIRST comment was supposed to say (in a grammatically correct fashion) was:

"I'm silly? I'd say that I'm practical/slightly paranoid. ;) I'll tell The Cyclist that you say hello."

Anonymous said...

I would have paid money to see this!

Kelly said...

Hey anonymous - if you give me a hint as to who you are, then I will most certainly except money from you. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who put that last comment, but I will pay to see other things ;)

Kelly said...

Whoa there, Mr. Anonymous. You must be referring to my extensive book collection.

Here is a general notice to those of you who post anonymously: If you make comments that require me to know who you are, and your comments are ambiguous enough that I can't figure out who you are . . . STATE WHO YOU ARE! Thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

Whoa, these comments are taking a new turn. I totally would love to see your extensive book collection, though I think Mr. Anonymous was referring to something else. And by that, I am of course referring to your giant rubberband ball, Stanley.

-The Shamana

Kelly said...

Dear Shamana,

You are quite the perceptive one. HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO BLIND???? Mr. Anonymous MUST have been referring to Stanley. Stanley's got quite a following, as you and I both know. That has to be it. All of this ambiguity and anonymity, it's driving me crazy.

Oh and hey Shamana, I want to see Fred. And by Fred, I mean your giant rubberband ball Fred.

Anonymous said...

He'll try to make a stop in Richmond, he's on a world tour right now. You know how it is when you are a hot, young, single, male rubberband ball. You just spend your days, BOUNCING from town to town. BANDing together with different people. RUBBing noses with the best people in society...

-The Shamana

Anonymous said...

*Adds to Kelly's list of "things to do before I die" - figure out who Anonymous is...

Kelly said...

OMG. I'm dying of laughter here. I love you a million times over Shamana!

Kelly said...

Codearachnid - if you know who it is, I'd like to know.

Please.

Anonymous said...

Why does it seem like you're dying to know who "Anonymous" is, Kelly? and why do you consider it a message that "requires" you to know who the writer is? Is is because you run a business showing this thing of ambiguity to people such as "Mr. Anonymous"? and how do we know Mr. Anonymous isn't a Mrs. or Ms.?
hmmm...

~Enigma

Kelly said...

I've decided that I don't care who this Anonymous Mr./Mrs./Miss/It is anymore. I'm just going to sit here and chew my coffee-flavored gum. Over and out.

Anonymous said...

I am the Anonymous who would have paid money. Never fear.

Signed--
The Fabulous One

Kelly said...

Dear The Fabulous One,

I figured that you were the first Anonymous one, but I don't think that you're the same Anonymous who said that he'd/she'd/it'd "pay money to see other things." Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Anonymous said...

No, it wasn't The Fabulous One - it was me :o)

Kelly said...

Lord help me this is going to go on forever. Stop the madness! Besides, I have my suspicions as to who it is, so I'm just going to go with that. I refuse to talk about this anymore. The end people! THE END!

Anonymous said...

Dare to dream, kelbel, dare to dream...

-The Shamana

Anonymous said...

So you knew the entire time that it was me? Damn! I guess you got me.

--Santa Claus

Anonymous said...

Alright? I don't know who you think you are, but this is the real Santa Claus and I don't appreciate people going around and pretending to be me. Get a different alias, jerk. Good job - you've won yourself a spot on the naughty list.

-Mr. Claus

Anonymous said...

You should be proud kelbel... You have Santa Claus posting on your blog =)

-The Shamana

Anonymous said...

*steals all the presents while Santa isn't looking and runs off*

--The Grinch

Anonymous said...

*steals all the presents while Santa isn't looking*

Be nice to Kelly Mr./Ms./Mrs./Miss. Anonymous. Or else!

Anonymous said...

....Do I need to step in.

-BJ