Thursday, March 31, 2005

career and self-esteem update

I have recently had some career boosts that have served to raise my self-esteem, however temporary it may be. :)

First of all, I came into work today (the advertising company I write for - just in case you infrequent readers have forgotten) to find out from my boss that the concept and tagline that I had come up with to pitch to The Virginian-Pilot (out of all the concepts the free-lancers they brought in came up with for the project) is going to be one of the two concepts presented to the Pilot executives! Mine!! The company is actually going to present MY idea to a big-league newspaper for their new advertising campaign. Potentially, if the Pilot executives decide to go with my idea, all of you people in the Hampton Roads area could be witness to a new advertising campaign from the brain of your friend Kelly. I'm grinning from ear to ear here. The CEO of my company came up to me and told me what a great job I had done on the work for this pitch. Now talk about a self-esteem boost. I spent most of this afternoon fleshing out the concept and there is a chance that I might be able to go down with the company to help pitch, or observe the pitch of the two ideas. The other concept they are presenting is a strong one as well, but if my concept doesn't make it past the presentation, I'm still going to be extremely happy with how far it got. :) (Yay!!) (!!!) I'd love to stay and work for this company after graduation - we'll see what happens.

Yesterday, I also got a call from The Motley Fool, an organization that writes about finances and informs the common citizen about how to manage their finances in a humorous way. They have a popular radio show with NPR and an in-depth website and book series. I applied for an editor position with them (mostly copyediting) on Tuesday and the next day they called me back. While the lady I talked to thinks that I'm a little light on experience (although, in my opinion, most college students are) they are interested enough in me to have me take an editing test on Monday, which they are going to fax over here to good old career services. I have to take the test in a certain period of time and then fax it back. Who knows what will happen with this, but it was encouraging to finally hear back from someone even if I don't do well enough for them on the test.

Yay happiness. :)

2 comments:

- manley said...

way too happy for you! i am excited things are on the up and positive after your hard work in school and such.

Kelly said...

Manley! Hey!
Thank you - We'll see how things turn out. :) Where is your long-awaited online journal?? Your public demands it!