Friday, April 15, 2005

the wounded bookshop

So tonight I made my first venture into the world of open mic poetry. After much persuasion from my fellow writer and poet friend Chelsea, I agreed to attend the open mike poetry night at The Wounded Bookshop downtown and read some of my poetry. I LOVE The Wounded Bookshop - the atmosphere, the building - it's a used bookshop in an old, old building that used to be a machine shop - now it's filled with mismatched sofas, artwork, dones of aged wooden bookshelves with old books, coffee, tea, wine, creaking staircases, fabulous rugs . . .

I loved listening to other people's works and meeting so many interesting characters: the elderly woman who published a book of poetry years ago, who still writes . . . the young man who's traveled the United States and just recently arrived in Fredericksburg to start a non-profit environmentalist action group - he also used to teach to gang members , one of his favorite students was shot in the forehead . . . the 15-year-old girl with long blond hair pulled back in a ponytail, black-rimmed glasses who declared that she normally writes fiction but what the heck, she gave poetry a try (incidentally she is an extremely talented writer across the board) . . . Chelsea my comrade English major and writer (with all of the OCD characteristics that I posses) - she's a great writer as well . . . the middle-aged man with curly blond-gray hair and glasses, who wrote a poem about Isaac Newtown (and said that if anybody wanted to know why he wrote about Isaac Newton, he would tell him "offline") . . . the young man with a pale yellow buttoned up shirt and black-rimmed glasses, who disliked the government and organized religion, who hestitated reading a poem he had written about sex . . .

I read three of my poems - first time ever reading them in public. It was amazing. I think I'm hooked.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

way out. let me know when you would like bongo drum accompaniment. i will be there. ~ bryan

Kelly said...

bongo drums in the background . . . hmmm . . . could be cool.

you are first in line. you beat all those other bongo drum offers to the punch.

Anonymous said...

I. so. want. to. go. there. now.

Haha.

Where exactly is the Wounded Bookshop? I want to check it out ;)

Kelly said...

It's on Amelia street, a few feet down from where it intersects with Caroline - if you are on Caroline, it's a block to the right of the library. they have the poetry reading the third friday of every month starting at 8 pm

Anonymous said...

Do you do haikus? There's no real poetry but haiku.

Anonymous said...

What kind of poetry do you pen? I demand to know.