Saturday, November 19, 2005

me. on a dark country road.

Those who know me know that I am navigationally challenged. It is of course, no fault of my own. I am the helpless victim of poor navigational genetics. Anyway, I had a babysitting job last night that ended up being in The Middle Of Nowhere. I mean, back country road USA. I have nothing against the country. I love it, actually. But take away my street signs, stop lights and neon navigational-direction-pointers and I get a bit anxious. I guess if I ever want to realize my dream of living in the mountains yet within 10 miles of a thriving city, I'll have to get over that.

So, I'm driving on ye old dirt road and notice that 1. Most of these houses are over 300 feet back from the road, behind lots of trees. 2. The only way you can see an address number is by having miraculous superspeed night vision that enables you to glimpse miniscule address numbers on the side of black mailboxes in the pitch black at 45 miles per hour. Of course, for the first part of this driving adventure, I have a pickup truck tailing me and forcing me to go 45 mph, therefore preventing me from seeing what addresses I am passing because I lack previously mentioned superspeed night vision. Then the truck turns off the road and I can slow down. But I realize as I travel for a much longer time expected down the road and reach an "intersection" that I've missed the house. With a cool head, I turn around and drive back at 25 mph, stopping at every mailbox to read the number. Note: With a cool head. (No panic!) And then I find the house. Finally. Aren't you proud of me?

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Oh my Lord!!!! Look who finally posted!